If you have ever relocated to a new office then you understand how daunting the all process is. Lack of planning for scheduled office relocation can have a huge impact on your business. The process is stressing and time-consuming and if not planned properly, it can unleash unanticipated disaster to your enterprise. Fortunately, there are some simple tips and ideas that will guarantee a successful office move.
Office Relocation – Planning is Key
As we all know the popular adage that goes, “failing to plan is planning to fail”, this is true when it comes to office relocation. You need to plan everything from start to finish. You need to understand things that need to be done before, during, and after the office move. You should also plan ahead for all these activities so as to ensure a smooth transition to your new work station. An appropriate plan should be prepared three months before a move and it should have all the tasks to be undertaken from day one to the last day.
Choosing your New Space
This is a crucial activity before you even begin to plan for your office relocation. You need to evaluate the new premises and ensure it meets the unique needs of your organization. When making you decision, use these ideas as a guide;
1. Check whether it is spacious enough and evaluate its cost. Will you be able to afford it or not?
2. Consider future expansion. Will the new premise accommodate your employees when you need to expand or scale up?
3. Consider premise servicing. Is it serviced or not? And if not how much more cost will you incur for servicing?
4. Is the new area secure and do you have to incur any additional costs for locks and securing the building and the area?
5. Who manages the new premise and do they cater for all your business needs such as regular repairs and electric maintenance?
6. Check whether all power cables and sockets are in perfect condition and ensure they are sufficient for your business.
7. Evaluate whether you can get some extra facilities such as a kitchen, air conditioning, supply of drinking water, and many others.
8. Check whether there are building works close-by that may disrupt your business.
Before you Move
Once you have chosen your desired premise, it is now time to plan ahead for your scheduled office relocation. You need to do the following;
• Choose a Move Coordinator-your office move will not be successful if you do not have a reliable office move company. Select a knowledgeable firm that will coordinate the move and ensure a smooth transition to the new office.
• Select a Desired Move Date-you need to draft a project schedule for your move and prepare a list of activities to be carried out including the parties or staff who will undertake the task.
• Communicate to all affected parties-communication is important for any successful office move. All the people who interact in one way or another with your business need to know about the move in advance. You should choose an effective way of communicating to all concerned parties.
i. Communicating to your employees-you should be honest to your staff when informing them about the move. Choose an internal communication strategy that will not bring out a negative reaction to the change. Remember to share the new floor plan with your staff.
ii. Suppliers-notify all your suppliers about the planned move. These include cleaners, milk vendors, magazines and newspaper suppliers, and many others.
iii. Keeping your business identity-update your website, social media sites, publication templates, letterheads, business cards, any existing advertisement in the market, and get new forms, checks, and building signage. You should also get new marketing materials once you open.
• Preparation of floor plans-it is important to prepare the floor plans for your new location. This should be distributed to the staff and other service providers. The floor plans will show where office equipment and furniture will be located. This will ensure a quicker installation in the new office.
• Inventory-prepare an inventory and label all existing furniture and equipment. This will help ensure everything gets into the new location. If needed, order new equipment and furniture for the new office. You can buy pre-used or refurbished office furniture. You should also pack and dispose unnecessary items before you move.
During the Move
Irrespective of whether you decide to carry out the move yourself or hire a moving company, there are various activities that should be done in order to ensure a smooth move;
• Inform your employees about what they are expected to take into the new place. Unnecessary items should not be carried along.
• Enlarge and hang the copies of the floor plans at the new location.
• Make arrangements for exclusive use of elevators, emergency doors, service elevators, or loading docks when moving into the new place.
• Ensure there is ample parking in the new area.
• Notify neighboring businesses of your move and if the entrances, parking area, and driveways will be disrupted when moving in.
• Pack everything a few days before the scheduled date for the move. Ensure crates are delivered early enough and make sure you are insured so that you are covered when anything is dropped.
• Get your IT provider to pack your computers and servers during the move and set them up again at the new place. This will avoid any losses or damage.
• There should be a proper dress code by staff during the move since they will bend, stoop and lift items.
• Supply all essential utilities such as toilet paper, paper towels, soap, and many others to the new place.
• Cancel or reschedule any meetings until the move is over and you have settled.
• Have someone who will oversee the entire move. This will ensure everything goes as planned.
After the Move
Once everything is in the new place, do the following;
• Check all the furniture and equipment for damage and make claims if there are damages.
• Verify the current inventory against what was recorded before the move.
• Clean the previous location.
• Train your employees on how to use any new equipment.
• Retrieve and return any locks or keys to the former premise.
• Ensure furniture is installed ergonomically.
• Carry out any other tasks required.
Your office relocation will be hassle-free and smooth once you understand what to do before, during, and after moving. These simple steps and ideas will help you transition to your new place smoothly and minimize any risks associated with office moving. Nevertheless, it is wise to hire a reputed office moving company since it is well acquainted with all that is required for a successful office move.